Thursday, August 15, 2013

Christmas time !

I recieved my order from robotshop this week. A box full of servomotors, gears, brackets and other stuffs :

  • SSC-32 Servo Controller 
  • 19 HS-485HR servomotors
  • 12 Servos brackets
  • 18 Hitec spline metal servo horns
  • 8 Rubber end cap
Picture 1 : A part of the body



Before recieving this, I already manufactured a not so circular body (cf picture 1). I only have a saw, some files and a grindstone to do this, needless to say it's really hard to make a perfectly circular Plexiglas body with these tools. 







After unpacking everything, I started to make a shin and a thigh and I was unpleasantly surprised to find servomotors without the horns' screws. As I only have wood screws, I'll use them until I buy more adapted ones with their corresponding nuts. I also use elastic bands to keep the servos' wires on the same side, this is temporary. You'll see the first leg on the picture 2 and the top part of the body I trimed to extend the rotation angle.

Picture 2 : The first leg

Picture 3 : A hip




 I assembled all the metal horns with the servos (I kept some plastic horns for the wood screw) and also assembled all he hips to prepare the next legs. On the picture 3 you can see an assembled hip.


I have a new usb to rs232 wire I just bought on ldlc but I should have take care instead of buying a random wire. I'm now trying to use a Prolific wire which do not emit any data. I spent 4 hours on debian and windows trying to make it work with no luck. I ordered a new wire after all and I'm waiting for it to start using the servomotors. 

Picture 4 : The first model (left) and the second one



During this free time, I decided to make a new leg model as I found the previous one ugly. The new one has a better look (see pictures 4 & 5), it is taller and fit better with the hexapod



I'll continue to make legs while I'm waiting for the rs232 wire and I'll soon buy the screws so I can finish the mechanical part.



No comments:

Post a Comment